THE INFO BELOW WAS FROM OUR 2017 Summer CAMP.
WHAT WE WILL BE DOING AT CAMP!
Here's a list of skills and processes we will be getting hands-on with:
- Book binding
- Sewing (by hand and machine)
- Weaving on a simple loom
- CNC paper cutting on the Silhouette
- Printmaking with cyanotypes
- Screen printing/stencilling camp shirts
- Sculpting with polymer clay & modelling clay
- Mold making with vaccuum forming
- Soldering and electronic circuits
- 3D modelling and 3D printing
- Building with cardboard and paper
All of our projects are designed to go with our unofficial "Harry Potter" theme this summer, so we'll be creating many whimsical and magical objects. Not a Potter fan? Don't fret, we still think you'll enjoy our varied range of hands on projects. We'll be making a mix of functional props, custom wearables, soft toys, artwork, and even an edible treat which will be sculpted, molded and cast from scratch! Projects are open to modifications based on the student's interest. Our end goal is to teach how a tool works and help you make something awesome with it.
Take a look at the projects we have planned below:
- LED illuminating magic wands
- hand woven scarves
- pom-pom pets (owl, cat, rat, pygmy puff, etc.)
- hand bound notebooks with "wax seals"
- Gummy creatures in a DIY food safe mold
- antique book "safe" for hiding treasures
- potions props
- wearable dragon eye pendant & egg prop
- feather pens
- 3D printed patronus badge
- cyanotype "sun prints" on fabric
- machine sewn fabric tote bags
- patronus string art
- camp shirts with stencils + bleach
...AND THAT'S NOT ALL FOLKS!
In addition to these projects, our students will have the opportunity to create their own cardboard pinball machine! Based on the the enthusiasm for cardboard building we saw last summer, we've decided to bring back the DIY game projects, however this year we are taking a slightly different approach. We found many campers got stuck at the initial idea stage, so this time everyone will work on building the same machine from our homemade template. With a functioning base as a starting place, campers are then free to run wild in creating their story and game board creations.
The idea for this project was inspired by the PinBox 3000. But we'll be creating our own templates to follow in true DIY maker spirit.
We are offering nine one-week sessions to choose from. Yes, we run all summer long!
On the Friday of each week, families and friends are invited to join us for our "Show & Tell: Family Game Night" from 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm. Campers will have this opportunity to show off what they made over the week, and give their pinball machines a "real live audience" test run. This is also a time for families to mingle and to get to know each other.
- Session 1: July 4 - 7 (No camp on the Canada Day Holiday, Mon. July 3)*
- Session 2: July 10 - 14 - SOLD OUT!
- Session 3: July 17 - 21 - SOLD OUT!
- Session 4: July 24 - 28 - SOLD OUT!
- Session 5: July 31 - August 4 - SOLD OUT!
- Session 6: August 8 - 11 (No camp on the Civic Holiday, Mon. Aug. 7)*
- Session 7: August 14 - 18 - SOLD OUT!
- Session 8: August 21 - 25 ** - SOLD OUT!
- Session 9: August 28 - Sept. 1 - SOLD OUT!
We also offer single day camp registrations for children who cannot attend an entire week but still want to join in on the fun! We still recommend attending a full week since many of our projects take multiple days to complete the entire making process.
Our class lessons will repeat weekly, however if your child would like to attend more than one session, our staff will happily modify the activities so they are always creating something new using the same processes.
*During our short weeks, some camp activities will be omitted.
** We have a very special treat planned for our Session 8 campers. We have purchased a class set of ISO-approved Solar Eclipse viewing glasses to be used on Monday, August 21st at 2:30 pm!
Our programming is intended for ages 7 - 14.
Camp runs 9:00 am - 4:00 pm.
Drop-off starts at 8:45 am, and pick up is until 4:30 pm.
If you require additional child care outside of these times, we will offer before and after care for a small additional fee. AM care will begin at 8:00 am, PM care runs til 5:30 pm. If you require care outside of these hours, please get in touch and we can work something out.
The Cedars Worship Centre (Westminster United Church), 543 Beechwood Drive Waterloo, Ontario.
See our location page for more details and photos.
One week: $275 plus HST
Single day: $65 plus HST
All materials are included in our camp fee.
For families with 3 or more children (must be brothers and or sisters), we offer a discount of $50 off for the 3rd child enrolled. Please contact us for the discount code if you are eligible.
WHAT TO BRING:
We will be taking two nutrition breaks during the day to eat. During these periods we will also be spending time outdoors and playing games, weather permitting. Campers should come with a water bottle, and a nut-free lunch / snacks. Please have them dress appropriately for the weather that week, including a change of shoes to wear indoors if it is wet out.